The theme for June’s BundtaMonth is swirl. Initially I wasn’t sure whether to do a streusel type swirl or a marble one. I ended up baking two cakes a Mango Jam Swirl and one with Strawberry. As you can see the Strawberry won. I had high hopes for the Mango cake, especially since I was using my new favorite swirly pan. Also, because it contains the mango jam that I recently made. One thing for sure I have another cake post waiting in the wings.
The base recipe for the bundt cake is a cream cheese pound cake that I’ve used several times. I found the recipe at Allrecipes.com. Other than baking it in its original form, one of our favorite versions is with Oreos. Talk about a party for your taste buds!! The vision of the cake that was swirling through my head, Ha -get it swirling? Oh never mind. Anyhow, I imagined that the strawberry would be a vivid red and very prominent. Had I used a bit of red food coloring I might have achieved the color. Neither of those happened but the taste is exactly what I knew it would be.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Bundt Cake – #BundtaMonth Swirl
Recipe adapted from Allrecipes.com
1 ½ cups butter, softened
2 cups sugar
1 – 8oz package cream cheese, softened
3 cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp baking powder
1 ¼ cup chopped strawberries
1/3 cup cold water
1 tsp lemon juice
First make the swirl. Puree¢ 1 ¼ cup chopped strawberries, ¼ cup cornstarch, 1/3 cup of cold water and 1 tsp lemon juice in the food processor. When mostly smooth transfer the puree¢ to a small saucepan and cook over medium high heat stirring constantly until it thickens. Set aside to cool completely before adding it to the cake batter.
In a large mixing bowl, cream butter, sugar and cream cheese. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift the flour and baking powder and add 1/3 of the mixture at a time to the creamed ingredients. Spoon 2/3 of the batter into the prepared pan and then spoon the strawberry puree¢ on top of the batter. Run a knife through the batter to make the swirl. Bake at 325° for 70 minutes or until a cake tester, or toothpick, inserted into the center of the cupcakes comes out clean.
Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing. Poke holes in the cake with a fork and brush on a glaze made with powdered sugar, vanilla and enough water to achieve a brushable consistency.
We have a swirly theme this month for #bundt-a-month. 17 gorgeous swirly cakes in every form will be inspiration enough for you to bake with us this month.
- Apple Swirl Bundt Cake by Renee at Magnolia Days
- Cinnamon Praline Pecan Swirl Bundt Cake by Karen at In the Kitchen With KP
- Cinnamon Pecan Swirl with Cinnamon Glaze by Stacy at Food Lust People Love
- Chocolate and Peanut Butter Swirl Bundt by Anita at Hungry Couple
- Chocolate Matcha Swirl by Kim from Ninja Baking
- Double Chocolate Swirl Bundt Cake by Lora at Cake Duchess
- Fiori di Sicilia Bundt Cake Swirl by Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious
- Lemon Raspberry Swirl Bundt Cake by Carrie at Poet In The Pantry
- Lemon Basil Blueberry Swirl Bundt Cake by Kate at Food Babbles
- Nutella Swirl Bundt by Veronica at My Catholic Kitchen
- Nutella Swirl Bundt Cake by Anuradha at Baker Street
- Orange Creamsicle Bundt by Holly at A Baker’s House
- Strawberry Nutella Swirl Mini Bundts by Alice at Hip Foodie Mom
- Strawberry Swirl Cream Cheese Bundt by Sandra at The Sweet Sensations
- The Spiced Life Espresso Swirled Bundt Cake by Laura at The Spiced Life
- Vanilla Cherry Swirl Mini Bundt Cakes by Heather at Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Zebra Bundt by Tara at Noshing With The Noland
If you’d like to be a part of Bundt-a-Month:
Simple rule: Bake us a Swirly Bundt for June and post it before June 30, 2013
Use the #BundtaMonth hashtag in your title. ex: #BundtaMonth: Swirly Bundt)
Link back to our announcement posts