Pork and Black Beans with Chili Lime Rice is a hearty meal that will leave you wanting seconds!
Charisse was telling me about this fantastic Cilantro Lime Rice Bowl she had and really liked it. So did her brother because he ate most of it when he was home for our Gatsby Birthday Party.
This meal was born of my fascination with rice bowls. Rice bowl combinations are all over the place. Some are a bit way out for my taste and others sound like I should wear elastic waist pants when I eat them. Correct me if I’m wrong, but the novelty is that all of the meal is in a bowl rather than a plate. I don’t eat rice or potatoes regularly. Not that I don’t love them, I just rather have my complex carbs doused with sugar and butter. Not a healthy option I know. Anyway, back to this dish.
It’s rare that I cook dinner on a weekday. The Mr and I eat leftovers from Sunday dinner or have soup and salads, so this was a nice treat. Other than how great it tastes it was easy to pull together because I put my slow cooker to work. Thanks Ramona and Chris for all of your slow cooker inspiration!
Most of the time when I cook meat or chicken in the crockpot I leave out a very important step and that’s searing the meat. That one step makes a difference. Searing the meat with a little oil in a hot skillet browns the meat and adds a little more flavor. Also, don’t be dismayed by the long list of ingredients. Pour yourself a glass of wine while you’re prepping and you’ll be good to go.
- 2 lbs. pork tenderloin, cut in cubes
- 1 tsp Menudo seasoning**
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 ½ season salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 TBS canola oil
- 1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 green pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15 oz. can tomatoes, diced with juice
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, undrained
- 2 cups instant rice
- 2 TBS canola oil
- 1 small sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Juice of ½ lime
- Zest of 1 lime
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- Season the pork with menudo seasoning, black pepper, season salt and cayenne pepper.
- Add the oil to a heavy bottom skillet over medium high heat.
- When the skillet is hot but not smoking add pork in small batches and brown on all sides and drain on paper towels.
- Add the drained tomatoes in the skillet to deglaze it, making sure to scrape the brown bits from the bottom.
- Layer the pork and vegetables in the crockpot, then and the tomatoes and chicken broth.
- The total cooking time is 6 hours, after 3 hours add the black beans and let cook for remaining 3 hours.
- For The Rice
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and onions and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and add the rice salt and chili powder.
- Cook over a low heat for 3 minutes, stirring constantly so the rice doesn't burn.
- Add 2 cups chicken broth, the lime juice, lime zest and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until the rice is done.
- Scatter the chopped scallions on top.
- **To make your own Menudo mix: Combine two parts oregano, two parts onion flakes, one part coriander seed, one part cumin, and one part crushed red chili pepper.
I hope my party friends are hungry, I’m bringing my Pork and Black Beans with Chili Lime Rice to the following link parties.