This Peach Galette with Almonds was inspired by Carol’s post at Blue Sky Kitchens.
For the last six weeks, hubby has been in charge of grocery shopping. Poor baby, I know he’s straining at the bit to have me venture out by myself again just as much as I am. No one in my family likes to shop with me because I’m out so long. I make grocery shopping an all-day outing. Not only do I get groceries, I also make my rounds to the craft stores, Target, maybe a thrift store or two and possibly TJ Maxx or Burlington’s. Rarely am I back home in under three hours. My ankle is not quite ready for prolonged periods of standing so last Saturday we went together. I was in and out of the amigo which I absolutely hate but I gotta do what I gotta do!
It was so much fun buying groceries again that I went overboard, especially in the produce department. Having a slight overabundance of produce isn’t a bad thing. However, I bought way too many peaches. I had enough juicy peaches to snack on and leftovers to douse in sugar and wrap in flaky dough.
This is my first Peach Galette and it is so forgiving. Galettes allow for imperfections and I made it even easier my using a pre made dough. Due to the fact that my husband fed me very well when I wasn’t able to cook I made a smaller version. Just enough for the two of us with a little leftover.
It was just the right blend of sweet and tart. Before baking I added sliced almonds and raw sugar to the top for extra crunch.
I drizzled some caramel ice cream topping over the Mr.’s slice and he also suggested that I add a little powdered sugar to the top. We both gave it a big thumbs up and I’ll probably make it again once I go to Farmer’s Market and try to bring home everything in sight.
- ½ cup raw sugar
- 3 TBS all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 large peaches halved, pitted, and cut into ¼ to ½ –inch–thick wedges
- 2 TBS lemon juice
- 1 TBS sliced almonds
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Egg wash
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp water
- 1 tsp raw sugar for sprinkling
- 1 9-inch premade pie dough or scratch recipe of your choice
- Preheat oven to 375˚F and roll out pie crust onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, stir together the peach slices, lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla bean paste and flour.
- Place filling in the center of the pie crust and spread it leaving a border of 1½ - 2 inches.
- Fold the edges of the pie crust up and over the peaches.
- Mix the egg and 1 tsp of water until well combined.
- Brush the folded edges of the galette with the egg wash.
- Sprinkle almonds on top of the filling.
- Bake for 45 - 50 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and peaches are soft.
- Allow galette to cool for about 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with caramel ice cream topping, vanilla ice cream or powdered sugar sprinkled over the top.
These are the linky parties I participate in. Drop by and show them a little love!