This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and The Coca-Cola Company. All opinions are mine alone. #WickedFantaFun #CollectiveBias
I decided it was time for some wickedly good Halloween fun. Cake truffles are a big favorite at our house and they are the perfect bite size treat. To give them a spooky vibe I embedded them with snakes. Don’t worry these gummy snakes won’t bite and they are downright delicious! I used Fanta® Orange Soda to give them a creamsicle taste. Fanta’s fun flavors are great as a stand-alone drink and also add tons of flavor in cake recipes. In addition to orange you can choose from grape, strawberry, pineapple, grapefruit, apple, peach, and cherry.
Orange Creamsicle Cake Truffles are not as difficult and time consuming as you may think. However, they are very irresistible and they disappear fast!
There are two Family Dollar Stores five minutes from my house so I am there often and they had everything I needed for my treat. To find the Family Dollar Store nearest you here’s a handy dandy store locator.
Bake and Crumble
Once your cake is baked and cooled the next step is to crumble it. I used a large wooden spoon but it can be done with a pastry blender, fork or even in the food processor. The most important thing is to make sure that you don’t have any large clumps of cake. This would make it challenging to get a smooth finish for dipping.
Once the cake is crumbled you need a binder to hold the crumb mixture together. My binder of choice is frosting but regular cream cheese would also work. I baked an 8-inch cake and added ½ cup of cream cheese frosting. Once the frosting is mixed in, roll a bit between your fingers and if it feels similar to playdough, it’s right. There is a fine line between too much and not enough binder. Too much and the truffles won’t hold their shape. Too little they’ll fall apart.
For this batch I rolled the truffles by hand using a small cookie scoop to get the same size. Place rolled truffles on a parchment or waxed paper lined sheet, and refrigerate for 15 minutes. If you refrigerate them longer cover them lightly with plastic wrap or a paper towel. While the truffles are chilling in the fridge you can melt your chocolate.
Before I get into how to dip it’s important to talk about the product you use. As my husband always tells me, “you get what you pay for”. There are several brands of wafer disks and blocks on the market, some better than others. It has been my experience that some of the ones available in different colors don’t always yield the best results. I’ve also found that white, milk or dark chocolate delivers a better taste. For color, you can always add colored sprinkles or other embellishments to tie in to a theme or color. For these I used dark chocolate wafer discs for even melting. The three methods for melting are, microwave, double boiler, and an electric melting pot. The electric melting pot is my preference. Remove truffles from the refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for a few minutes before dipping. Insert a skewer into the truffle, then dip it in the chocolate, twirling it to make sure it’s coated thoroughly. Gently tap off the excess and place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. While the chocolate is still soft, add the gummy snakes, then let harden at room temperature. Add another coat of chocolate to really embed the snakes. You’ll also notice that a few of the truffles have candy eyes. One box of cake mix will yield 2 ½ dozen truffles.
- Orange Creamsicle Cake Truffles
- 1 box white cake mix
- 3 large egg whites
- ¼ cup of oil
- ¾ cup Fanta Orange soda
- 24 oz dark chocolate candy wafers
- 16 oz gummy snakes
- Preheat oven to 350° F and prepare an 8-inch round cake pan for non-stick baking.
- Prepare cake according to package directions substituting Fanta Orange for the required water.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes or until cake tests done when a toothpick is inserted into the center.
- Let cake cool completely in the pan.
- Once cool remove cake in big sections and transfer to a serving bowl.
- When baking a non-chocolate cake, it’s more esthetically pleasing to remove the crusts before crumbling the cake.
- Crumble cake with a pastry blender, fork or your fingers.
- Add the cream cheese frosting and stir with spatula or large wooden spoon until it’s completely blended.
- Using a small scoop or a spoon measure out a small portion, roll into a ball and place on a parchment or waxed paper lined sheet.
- Place in the refrigerator and let the truffles chill for 15 minutes.
- While truffles are chilling melt the chocolate wafers in an electric melting pot or double boiler.
- Insert skewer or dipping spoon into chilled truffle then dip in melted chocolate.
- Twirl to coat evenly then gently tap skewer or handle of spoon against the rim of the pot to remove excess chocolate.
- Place on parchment lined sheet and embed with gummy snakes and let harden.
These were so cute they deserved a special table all decked out in Halloween finery. These bugged out candles came together in no time flat. Here’s what you’ll need to get the look.
- 2 tall candle jars
- Scrapbook paper
- Assorted plastic bugs
- Glue gun and glue sticks
Cut the scrapbook paper to fit the candle and glue it on. Pick your bugs of choice and hot glue them to the front. These dollar store bugs were really thin so be very careful placing them with the hot glue.
More Table Décor
It didn’t take much to pull this table together. The grass look table cover was already in place so I used it. I picked up the Happy Halloween banner from the local party store. I also dug into my Halloween stash and found a few decorative pieces. The truffles are on a silver cake board that sits atop a black cake stand. At the base of the stand are a string of skulls. The orange pumpkin sits in a mini black stand. On the left side of the table I placed a candy coffin and filled it with a few truffles. The last items set in place are a red apple with a truffle on top, truffles set on a cork coaster, and snakes scattered around the table.
Also, check out the one-stop Fanta Halloween display at Family Dollar and save $1 when you buy (1) Fanta 12-pack 12oz cans AND (1) Red Baron pizza 12oz or larger. Use the digital Smartcoupon at Family Dollar (10/24/16 – 10/31/16).