The hits just keep on coming folks! It’s the 20th of the month and time for the Cake Slice Bakers to reveal our selections for this month. Mississippi Mud Cake anyone. Obviously, I have led a very sheltered life because this is the first time I had or made one and my sweet tooth was well satisfied.
Other than the taste, one of the best parts was how quickly the mixing and baking process was. In less than an hour my cake was cooling on the counter while I looked on wishing it would cool instantly. Now here’s the funny part; I waited too long for it to cool. It did not want to release. I must admit that I didn’t have a decent jellyroll pan to use so baked it in a 9×13 inch pan instead. I prepared it according to the directions and even lined the bottom with parchment paper. Speaking of parchment paper, parchment paper sheets from the dollar store are a good buy. However, you get what you pay for, nuff said.
I had marshmallows that clung to the pan and didn’t want to let loose so I had to do a bit of prying to release them. Then came time to cut the cake into neat compact pieces. Ha! That is surely not my forte. As much as I tried to channel my inner Liz Berg perfectly even cut slices weren’t happening. One thing for sure, no matter the shape or size this is one scrumptious may have to have more than one slice dessert. Try it you’ll like! Also please see what my fellow Cake Slice Bakers have been up to this month and check out the blog hops where I party each week.
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup butter
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 (10.5-oz.) bag miniature marshmallows
- CHOCOLATE FROSTING
- ½ cup butter
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 (16-oz.) package powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Microwave 1 cup butter and semisweet chocolate in a large microwave-safe glass bowl at HIGH 1 minute or until melted and smooth, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Whisk sugar and next 5 ingredients into chocolate mixture. Pour batter into a greased 15- x 10- x 1-inch jelly-roll pan.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, and sprinkle evenly with miniature marshmallows; bake 8 to 10 more minutes or until golden brown. Drizzle warm cake with Chocolate Frosting, and sprinkle evenly with toasted pecans.
- Chocolate Frosting
- Stir together first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat until butter is melted. Cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes or until slightly thickened; remove from heat.
- Beat in powdered sugar and 1 tsp. vanilla at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until smooth.