Debi at Surroundings by Debi was sweet enough to nominate me for the Liebster Award a while back. Recipients of this award are typically new bloggers with less than 10,000 followers. Am I a new blogger? Not so much, Sweet Sensations turned five this week. Do I have less than 10,000 followers? Way less!
Debi concluded that because I’m still growing my blog I still qualified. Growing my blog often feels like trying to catch the brass ring on the merry-go-round. Do I reach high or low? On the other hand, should I just relax and enjoy the ride. I’ve come to the conclusion that there is no perfect formula and what works for blogger A won’t for blogger B. Getting hung up on the stats can drive you bonkers and have you constantly comparing yourself to others.
Of course, I’d love to have 10,000+ followers but I also want to have fun baking, styling parties, and pretty tables. Not to say that this can’t happen simultaneously I just don’t plan for it to be a major source of stress. I hope all of this makes sense.
Thank you Debi for the nomination and for being so patient while I put this post together. My attempt to find other bloggers to nominate wasn’t fruitful. Therefore, to any blogger out there who has experienced frustration over growing your blog and gaining followers, hang in there and please have fun along the way.
As part of accepting the Liebster Award, my task was to answer the following questions.
1. How did you decide on the name of your blog?
I’d love to say that I had a wonderful epiphany about it but such is not the case. My blog is primarily about baking. Baked goods are Sweets and Sensations flowed well.
2. What was your first “real” job?
Working on the playground in the neighborhood where we lived when I was 14.
3. What is it that you love most about blogging?
Meeting people from all over the world and being inspired by them.
4. What is your favorite food?
Quickest answer ever, cake!
5. What is your message/tip/recommendation to all the new and hopeful bloggers out there?
Be true to who you are. It is very easy to want to be like the big name bloggers and lose yourself trying to keep up with or emulate them. Also, always remember why you started blogging and keep in mind that you can’t be all things to all readers.
6. What gets you out of bed in the morning?
The opportunity to be of service even in the smallest way.
7. What are eleven random facts about yourself?
- When my husband and I met, it was love at first sight. We celebrated our 39th anniversary June 26.
- I have eight grandchildren and one great-grandchild.
- My dream job would be traveling around the world tasting different foods and blogging about it.
- I think public speaking is fun.
- When I bake there is always a movie playing in the background.
- I went to charm school when I was a teenager.
- If I sleep past 8:30 am, I feel like half my day is over.
- In high school, I helped organize and lead a protest march because the diocese was closing our school.
- I love movies about time travel.
- In 2001 completed a course in aromatherapy and used what I learned to make bath and beauty products.
- 11. I work out at least 6 days a week and not because I’m a baker but because I enjoy it.
8. Where is your happy place?
9. What are three words that describe you?
Flexible, loyal, diligent.
10. Do you plan to fight aging or age gracefully?
Honestly, I feel like I’m doing both!
11. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Still baking, designing tables and extremely content with my life.
These are the linky parties I participate in. Drop by and show them a little love!