This Lemon Cake with Citron Italian Meringue Buttercream Cake is topped with White Chocolate Trees decorated with Sugar Pearls.
We Cake Slice Bakers have come to the end of our baking year and will soon have a new book to bake along with. For our last bake of the year, we had the option to choose a recipe from any previous book we’ve baked from.
My choice came from the Southern Living, The Southern Cake Book, one of my favorites. The original recipe includes a lemon filling and a coconut topping.
I used the cake recipe and decided to fill and frost my cake with a Citron Italian Meringue Buttercream. To decorate the cake, I made White Chocolate Trees decorated with sugar pearls.
To make the Christmas trees I used a Christmas Tree cookie cutter to trace the design onto parchment paper. Next, I turned the paper over onto a large cutting board and traced the design with melted white chocolate. My tracing went slightly awry but that’s ok, Tis the season to be jolly. I filled in the outline with zigzags of the white chocolate and sprinkled them with the sugar pearls.
Once the chocolate hardened I added a small amount of white chocolate to the base of one tree and attached a popsicle stick. Then I added a small amount of melted white chocolate to the popsicle stick and added another white chocolate tree to it for dimension. I also made a few stars to place at the base of the trees.
It’s been a great year of baking with the Cake Slice Bakers and I’m looking forward to our new baking adventures. Please visit the other bakers linked below to see what recipes they’ve chosen. Merry Christmas!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 TBS baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp salt
- Citron Italian Meringue Buttercream
- White Chocolate (optional)
- Decorating Sugar Pearls (optional)
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy; gradually add sugar, beating well.
- Next, add egg yolks, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Combine flour and baking powder; then add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Beat at low speed until blended after each addition.
- Stir in 1 tsp vanilla.
- Beat egg whites and salt at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Stir about one-third of egg whites into batter; fold in remaining egg whites.
- Spoon batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
- Bake at 350°F for 18 to 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- Citron Italian Meringue Buttercream:
- ½ oz water
- oz granulated sugar
- oz egg whites, room temperature
- oz unsalted butter, cut into 1” cubes
- zest and juice of 1 large lemon
- Make Citron Italian meringue buttercream by placing egg whites in bowl of an electric mixer fitted with whisk attachment.
- Combine water and sugar in a pot and allow syrup to boil to 240°F.
- Switch mixer on high, return to boiling syrup and turn off at 244°F.
- Slowly pour hot syrup into the edge of the mixing bowl.
- Leave mixer on high for 10 minutes or until meringue is stiff but not over mixed and curdled.
- Lower speed to medium-high and add butter cube by cube.
- Mix until butter is fully incorporated and meringue buttercream is smooth.
- Add lemon zest and juice and mix until incorporated.
- Spread Citron Italian Meringue Buttercream between layers and on top.
- Decorate with White Chocolate trees and stars if desired.