This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #BlackBoxSummer #CollectiveBias The following content is intended for readers who are 21 or older.
For the last several months I have bemoaned the fact that our weather has been lousy. Well finally we had a warm weather breakthrough. One so great we kicked off our grilling season. Through the course of the day we were in and out of the house getting ready for a dinner we’ve been looking forward to for a long time; grilled flank steak. This dinner was just a warm up for how we want to celebrate our 40th anniversary in June. 40 years people!!!
Not only did we sip on Black Box Chardonnay I incorporated it into our meal. It was the key ingredient in the Chardonnay Bacon and Mushroom Sauce that I made to serve with the flank steak. This is not boxed wine from the 80’s. I love its portability and thank goodness there are no glass bottles to break. Speaking of bottles; did you know that one box is equal to 4 – 750 ml bottles? That’s a lot of wine my friends and the price is 40% less than comparable bottled wines.
In addition to the flank steak we enjoyed sautéed fresh corn with avocado, salad and focaccia. What no dessert? That’s right no dessert. It’s hard for me to believe also. Honestly the smooth and somewhat sweet buttery taste of Black Box Chardonnay was enough of a treat.
We haven’t finalized any anniversary plans yet, we have until June to work on it. However, I could see us picnicking in the park with a basket of goodies, wine included. If you’re worried about the packaging, cross that off your list. The boxes are eco-friendly and recyclable. Black Box also has a great reputation winning over 50 Gold Medals for its quality. Once upon a time I used to worry about a boxed wine going stale, not gonna happen with this one. These wines stay fresh up to 6 weeks.
Now about that sauce. It came together quickly and was hearty enough to just spoon it from the pan and eat. I even made a second batch to have with leftovers the next day.
- ¼ tsp freshly ground blackpepper
- 1 large shallot, minced
- ¾ cup Black Box Chardonnay
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and chopped, reserve drippings
- ½ cup sliced baby portabella mushrooms
- Add the shallot to the drippings and cook over medium heat until golden, about 2 minutes.
- Next add the wine scraping up any browned bits with a wooden spoon.
- Bring to a boil and cook until reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the butter, one piece at a time, then add the bacon and mushrooms.
- Add ¼ teaspoon pepper or season to taste.
- Spoon over grilled flank steak.
If you need some thought starters for summer and on the go entertaining, visit the
Simple Entertaining Social Hub for some fun ideas.