On a recent trip to the grocery store strawberries were on sale. $2.48 for 2 lbs was quite a deal and I couldn’t resist buying them. Much to my granddaughter’s dismay I am notorious for buying produce and not using it before it goes bad. This time I was determined to use them. Well at least most of them.
In the past I’ve found baking with fresh strawberries to be somewhat of a challenge. Many a bundt cakes that I’ve tried came out rather soggy due to the high water content in strawberries. For this reason I’ve used fresh strawberries primarily as a garnish or as part of a filling between cake layers.
This Fresh Strawberry Coffee Cake is one that was found and adapted from Allrecipes.com. My minor change was to omit the coconut in the off chance that Gabbi would want to try it. If ever there was a coffee cake perfect to go with a hot beverage it’s this one. I’ve probably said that before but it’s true. Mr. Sweets also liked it which is a good sign.
As we wait for permanent spring weather to arrive this cake topped with sweet strawberries and a buttery crumb topping was the perfect consolation.
Not one to keep a good thing to myself, I’m sharing this cake at the following link parties. Take care and be well!
- ¼ cup butter
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- 1 ½ cups thinly sliced strawberries
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease a 9-inch baking pan.
- Beat ¼ cup butter in a bowl until creamy; add ¾ cup sugar and egg.
- Beat until fully incorporated.
- Mix 1 ½ cup flour, baking powder, and salt together in a separate bowl.
- Stir flour mixture, alternating with milk, into butter mixture until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan.
- Arrange strawberries atop the batter.
- Mix ½ cup flour, ½ cup sugar, ¼ cup butter, and coconut together in a bowl.
- Sprinkle topping over strawberries.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
I’m taking this cake to the following link parties this week.
House of Hipsters