For the last couple of weeks, I’ve been having a ball at the Farmers Market. The abundance of fresh fruits and veggies has been way too tempting to pass up. Two weeks ago I came home with peaches, apples, tomatoes, peppers and a cantaloupe that was bigger than my head! The cantaloupe didn’t make it through the weekend and the Mr. and I were almost ready to arm wrestle for the last bite.
Later that weekend while downstairs in my laboratory/kitchen I enjoyed the background noise from one of my favorite movies as I peeled and sliced the peaches and apples to ready them for the freezer. The peaches were at the perfect state of ripeness and I honestly don’t know why I bothered to freeze them.
They stayed in their icy repository for only a couple of days before the craving for peach cobbler set in. I’ve made lots of cobblers (sometimes known as dump cakes) with a cake mix topping or pastry topping but this time I wanted something different. I found it, kind of. It was a scratch batter that was poured into the bottom of the baking dish first. Ok, I could deal with that. Rather than bake it in a 9×13-inch dish as the recipe recommended I opted to break in my two tiny cast iron skillets. There’s something about those little buggers that makes everything taste good in them. Granted these are small skillets but not small servings if you know what I mean. At any rate these easy individual skillet peach cobblers couldn’t have been more fun to bake or eat.
The original recipe from MyRecipes.com listed cinnamon and nutmeg as optional. Um no, those are required along with a dash of cardamom to shake things up a bit. I also listed vanilla ice cream as optional, but it was such a great go-with and whipped cream would be also. The one thing I wish I had done was to use 3 skillets instead of two. That would have prevented the overflow of batter. I baked them on a cookie sheet so clean up wasn’t so bad.
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 TBS baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup milk
- 4 cups fresh peach slices (frozen will work also)
- 1 TBS lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp cardamom
- Vanilla Ice Cream (Optional)
- Melt butter in 2-3 mini skillets.
- Combine flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt; add milk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Pour batter over butter (do not stir).
- Bring remaining 1 cup sugar, peach slices, lemon juice and spices to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly.
- Pour over batter (do not stir).
- Bake at 375° for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve cobbler warm or cool with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream if desired.
These are the linky parties I participate in. Drop by and show them a little love!