It seems like only yesterday that we were in the midst of planning for the holidays and here we are getting ready for Easter. For me this is yet another reminder to slow my roll and enjoy each day as much as possible. It is easy to get caught up in wishing for this or that day to hurry and get here. In doing so we risk the possibility of missing so many incredible nows.
On the first Thursday of each month the Fill the Cookie Jar bakers reveal their selections. Naturally our theme for this month is Spring/Easter. Thankfully I found this recipe for orange bars at Erica’s Sweet Tooth that fit the bill. They’re super easy, come together quickly and allow you to relax and savor the flavor. I combined orange juice and the zest of a Meyer Lemon to really bump up the citrus flavor. After the pictures were taken I sat back and relaxed with a half bar and a cup of tea while enjoying the sunshine. I didn’t rush to put away my camera or anything else, I just chilled and it felt good. Try it sometime, you’ll like it. Have a peaceful and Happy Easter!
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup flour
- ⅛ tsp salt
- Citrus Filling:
- Zest of 1 Meyer Lemon
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 tbsp flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8×8″ pan thoroughly.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together butter and powdered sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour and salt
- Turn the mixer down to low and slowly add the flour and salt.
- Mix until well combined.
- Press the dough into the prepared pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- While the dough is baking, prepare the filling by simply mixing all of the ingredients together until well combined.
- Pour the filling over the prebaked crust.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the edges of the filling are slightly golden brown.
- Let bars cool to room temperature and then cut into squares to serve.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
These are the linky parties I participate in. Drop by and show them a little love!