Ker-klunk, ker-klunk, that’s the sound of me putzing around the kitchen. It feels so good to have created this Chicken and Cheese Breakfast Casserole to share with you. I’m still in the boot and down to one crutch but all is well. Going downstairs isn’t a part of the plan just yet, hopefully I’ll be ready in a couple of weeks.
In an effort to give hubby a culinary break I’ve started preparing my own breakfast. Nothing major, mostly yogurt and fruit with an occasional egg thrown in. Today I wanted something more. I actually wanted blueberry pancakes but pancakes are a trigger food. One pancake would have led to probably way more than I needed. On one of my last solo trips to the grocery store I picked up several cans of chopped chicken breasts. Don’t judge they come in very handy and were much less work.
To the chicken I added chopped red and green peppers, onions, minced garlic, cheese and eggs. Plain old salt and pepper wouldn’t cut it for this one so I chose a slightly spicier route. Sriacha and a spicy seasoned salt. I may have to rely on my trusty acid reflux pill after this one! This casserole was satisfying and very filling. A side of PB&J toast plus some fruit rounded out the meal. It’s definitely a keeper and so easy to increase the servings. My kids will make this disappear quickly when they come home and will probably want pancakes with it also.
I also ker-plunked my way out to the deck for some chives to use as a garnish. Toast with blueberry jam and a side of mandarin oranges and blueberries to accompany it, made be a very happy camper. I think I have a new favorite breakfast food!
- 2 – 5 oz cans chopped chicken breast
- ¼ cup chopped green pepper
- ¼ cup chopped red pepper
- ¼ chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ¾ cup cheddar/Monterey Jack cheese
- ½ tsp Sriacha
- ½ tsp spicy season salt
- 8 eggs
- 2 TBS milk
- Chives for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F and prepare a 8-inch baking for non stick baking.
- Drain chicken breasts and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Blend eggs using a standard or immersion blender then add to the chicken along with remaining ingredients.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- The eggs will continue to cook for a while after this is removed from the oven so keep this in mind when checking for doneness.
- Garnish with chopped chives if desired and store leftovers in the fridge.
These are the linky parties I participate in. Drop by and show them a little love!