There was serious baking going on in the Sweet Sensations household over the weekend. Several cakes were needed to accompany my DIY Cake Stands. One half finished project completed and a couple more to go. You’ll get a glimpse of the stands with the cakes over here but for full details check out my post on Around My Table, my other blog.
Whenever I have the opportunity to put together a dessert table, no matter the size I feel like I’m in my element. Cakes and dessert tables are like putting on my comfy robe and slippers. I love the planning of the desserts and the back and forth of deciding which props to use and deciding what goes where.
When it’s a styled shoot as this one was I like to start early in the morning. By 8am I’ve had my coffee and I’m downstairs rigging up the lights and setting up the table. The house is quiet and it’s just me and my sweets. No need for movies to keep me company. Be it a big or small table it takes time. Everything doesn’t always go as planned and there are lots of pictures to take. The beauty of dessert buffets is that most sweets can be prepared well in advance. Occasionally something needs a touch up, or sometimes a warm up for a little shine.
For this table I baked a Blueberry Cream Cheese Pound Cake, an Almond Bundt and some Boozy Baby Bundts. What’s not to love here people?
The Blueberry Cream Cheese Pound Cake is a repeat and the recipe can be found here. I’ll share the Almond Bundt Cake recipe in a few days. Today we’re starting off the work week with the Boozy Baby Bundts. Have you tried RumChata before? As crazy as this sounds it tastes like the milk left in the cereal bowl, but spiked. The recipe is my basic buttermilk pound cake with Rum Chata in place of the vanilla. After baking I gave them a good soak with more of the same plus some Cake flavored vodka. I know, I know, way over the top! The really cool thing (I guess) is that they didn’t taste like they were loaded with booze and there definitely wasn’t any buzz involved. That being said I wouldn’t recommend it for minors.
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp RumChata
- Mini shot bottle of RumChata
- 2 TBS cake flavored vodka
- Preheat oven to 325°. Prepare a 6 cup mini bundt mold for non stick baking and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition; usually until the yolk disappears.
- Combine flour baking soda, and lightly sift.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk and beat well.
- Stir in RumChata.
- Pour into prepared pan filling ⅔ full and bake for 60 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Using the tines of a fork poke holes in the top of the baby bundts.
- Mix the mini bottle of RumChata and the 2 TBS of cake flavored vodka.
- Brush or spoon mixture onto the cakes using all of the mixture.
- Let them sit for at least 20 minutes before transferring to a serving tray.
I’m bringing some dessert to the following parties this week. Won’t you join me?
Also please don’t forget to check out Amazon Smiles for the opportunity to donate to your favorite charity compliments of Amazon.com. http://smile.amazon.com/about/ref=smi_se_ft_abt_saas. If you don’t have a favorite charity in mind please consider Cookies for Kids Cancer.