I’ve had blueberries in the freezer for a while. I’ve also been having this ping pong match in my mind about what to do with them. Jam or cake, jam or cake…… While preparing to review the Love Birds Coffee and Tea Cup set I felt a sweet treat would be great to go with it. Cake won woo-hoo!!! I wanted the cake to be lower in fat and cholesterol but still over the top in taste. Tall order I know; and honestly I wasn’t in the mood for lots of trial and error. I’ve seen many crumb cake recipes but have never made one. Ok, so now I’m making a crumb cake. Did I find one that was lower in fat and cholesterol? Yes. Did I make it? Nope.
I resolved to do what I usually do, make it, have one slice and give it away. That was before I tasted it. Sweet Mother of Pearl this baby is delicious!! So here I go with the ping pong match decision again. Keep it or give it away. The crumb topping is crunchy, sweet and has a kiss of lemon. Then there is the cake…. (Insert heavy sigh and eyes rolling to the back of my head). It’s moist, tender and not too sweet. That combined with the tartness of the blueberries and the lemon zest make your taste buds stand up and take notice.
The other day I put a lemon in the microwave to warm it before juicing it for my water. Then I peeled it and the essential oils were just through the roof, which set my wheels in motion. I decided to infuse the ½ cup of milk in this recipe with warmed lemon peels for 20 minutes. The result was a hint of lemon which was good. The next time I’ll let it sit overnight. Make this cake, please, you’ll love it.
Should I keep the cake or give it away. Keep it, give it away…..
This cake was slightly adapted from Barbara Bakes.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 TBS lemon zest
- 2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Crumb Topping
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 TBS butter, melted
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 TBS lemon juice
- 1 TBS milk
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350º. Prepare a 9-inch spring form pan for non stick baking.
- Prepare crumb topping and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, vanilla and milk. Mix in lemon zest.
- Add flour mixture and mix just until combine.
- Gently stir in blueberries by hand.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
- For the Crumb Topping, combine sugar, flour, and butter in a small bowl.
- Mix until mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle with crumb topping.
- Bake at 350º for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edge and remove ring.
- For the Icing; whisk together powdered sugar, lemon juice, milk and vanilla to create a thin glaze.
- Drizzle on top of the cake.
If you haven’t a had a chance yet please check out my review of the beautiful Love Bird and Tea Cup Set from Uncommon Goods that I posted over the weekend. It’s here.
These are the linky parties I participate in. Drop by and show them a little love!