Most of us bakers have had the experience of frozen overripe bananas falling out of the freezer. They seem to multiply faster than dust bunnies. We also have the keen ability to ignore them until they are so in your face that you have to take care of them. Sooooo, what I had to decide was whether to have a dust free family room or yummy delicious banana bread with chocolate chips and walnuts.
Yepper, yummy delicious banana bread with chocolate chips and walnuts it is! This bread is deserving of a high five, two snaps in a circle and a pat on the back. Which means I had a couple pieces. This also means I put on my old school music, grabbed the dust cloth and got busy eliminating the dust bunnies to burn some extra calories.
This recipe is from Epicurious. Try it you’ll like it!!!
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup walnuts, toasted, chopped
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 2 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour 9x5x2½-inch metal loaf pan.
- Whisk first 4 ingredients in medium bowl to blend.
- Combine chocolate chips and walnuts in small bowl; add 1 tablespoon flour mixture and toss to coat.
- Beat butter in large bowl until fluffy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until well blended.
- Beat in eggs 1 at a time.
- Beat in mashed bananas, lemon juice and vanilla extract.
- Beat in flour mixture and spoon ⅓ of batter into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with half of nut mixture, then spoon ⅓ of batter over and sprinkle with remaining nut mixture.
- Cover with remaining batter.
- Run knife through batter in zigzag pattern.
- Bake bread until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour 5 minutes.
- Turn out onto rack and cool.