Have you ever tried ice cream bread? No? Well, this 2 Ingredient Strawberry Ice Cream Bread is a good one to start with. I say start with because this is so easy you’re going to want to try lots of variations. As much as I love sweets, ice cream isn’t always at the top of my list when I want dessert. On the other hand, when said ice cream is mixed in with flour and baked that’s another story.
At the most basic level, this is a two-ingredient recipe; ice cream and self-rising flour. Self-rising flour as you may remember from my Flour Basics post already has leavening in it. Ice cream already contains egg, milk, sugar plus flavorings. Now before I get you all riled up, this comes out as a sweet bread, not cake. However, in my opinion, if you slather a bit of frosting on it, it’s cake.
Ice cream bread is also the perfect accompaniment to a hot beverage. If you prefer not so sweet sweets, this one is for you. Hear that Mr. Sweets! Most times I’d rather buy a quart or half -gallon of ice cream just in case the kids are over and want ice cream. Honestly, that rarely happens and sometimes the garbage disposal is the recipient. I have several recipes that use ice cream other than as a standalone dessert so that I don’t always end up tossing it.
For this recipe, I used Strawberry Swirl Ice Cream and the little bits of strawberries were a pure delight and it was just sweet enough for my taste. If you wanted to jazz it up a bit you could add chopped nuts, coconut, additional flavoring or a little more fruit. I added some melted butter and light brown sugar over the batter before I baked it. The result was a light crunchy sweet topping. So many possibilities! I hope you give this one a try and check out my other repurposed ice cream recipes. Hot Chocolate 2 ways, and Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Pancakes. This recipe was adapted from Sugar and Soul.
- 2 cups (1pint) strawberry ice cream, softened (or ice cream of your choice)
- 1 ½ cups self-rising flour
- 4 TBS butter, melted (optional)
- 3 TBS light brown sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F and prepare a 8x4 in loaf pan, a 9x13 would work also.
- Mix softened ice cream and flour together either in a stand mixer or by hand until well combined.
- If you’re using add-ins mix them in now.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and spread out evenly.
- Pour melted butter over top of the batter and sprinkle with the light brown sugar.
- Bake for 40-45 mins until top is golden brown.
These are the link parties I participate in. Drop by and show them a little love!